Re: State of AWT

From: Paul Fisher
Subject: Re: State of AWT
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:26:20 -0500

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:30:26PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> It turns out that the Gtk+ peers aren't really complete.

They are mostly complete.  I never said that they were complete.

> For instance, it isn't possible to make an AWT checkbox due to a
> missing native method.

This is odd.  I seem to recall them working at one point.  It has been
a very long time since I've touched the peer GTK code tho.

> Dialogs don't work.  There are Gtk errors in the file dialog and one
> other place I forget right now.

That's correct.  I don't recall the exact reason they don't work, but
I believe part of the reason for the file dialog not working was that
the API for GTK's file dialog (at the time) didn't support what was
necessary for implementing Java's file dialog.

Various Red Hat people have been bugging me to port the peers to GTK
2.  That's probably something that should be done.