TODO list for the next release

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: TODO list for the next release
Date: 03 Feb 2002 16:08:56 +0100

Hi,

Here is my TODO list for the next (0.03) release.
It seems like a good idea to get a release out the door now that we have
the AWT and license clarification worked out and the libraries seem to
work with Orp 1.0.9 out of the box. 0.02 was released more then a year
ago and we made lots of progress since then. Lets show the world!

Brian, you have been our release master in the past. Will you also do
the actual release this time? When would you have time? I think we
should set a target date somewhere next week (friday or next weekend). I
will try to make sure that the things on the list below are done by
friday.

What do other people think? Am I missing something obvious that is
needed before the release?

TODO for 0.03:
- Check and apply patches in Savannah bugdatabase
  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?group_id=85>.
  A lot of the patches that Intel submitted were set to postponed but
  the copyright assignment papers have been sorted out so they can go in
  now.
- Add workaround for compiling with gcj (3.0.x and 3.1 CVS). I have two
  workaround for compiling with gcj in my local tree. It might be a good
  idea to apply them.
- Check and update README, HACKING, NEWS and webpages for new release.
- Figure out why "make dist" does not work.
- Check build instructions when make dist does work so people can easily
  download the Classpath 0.03 and the ORP 1.0.9 release on a clean
  machine and get it working out of the box.
- Make release announcement for announce newsgroup, Freshmeat, etc.

Fun to have but not neccessary/to much work for 0.03:
- Popping up a AWT window with ORP
  (I have seen it "work" under gcj but cannot get it working with ORP.)
- Working out of the box with other free JVMs. SableVM and Kissme seem
  to be not that much work to get working out of the box and Etienne
  wanted to contribute some build magic to make it simpler. Maybe if he
  has time.
- T-Shirt! Last time I promised to make T-Shirts if we ever got a new
  release. So I should finally make them now :)