Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:37:51 +0100

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 22:44, Eric Blake wrote:
> > I'm one of the jikes developers.  I know that Jikes 1.15 has some
> > problems compiling inner classes with private constructors, (jikes
> > compiles with exit status 0, but execution of the resulting .class file
> > causes a VerifyError), and there are a few of those in Classpath.
>
> OK. That might explain why some people are not seeing these things. As
> far as I know KissMe, SableVM and Orp don't have verifiers at the
> moment.

If the bad bytecode isn't caught by a verifier then it will cause
Undefined Behaviour of the VM - the Java stack frame will underflow,
which is supposed to be impossible.  When we encountered this
problem Wonka actually threw a VirtualMachineError, but it could
as well have segfaulted or caused foreign objects to fly out of
Mark's ear.

Chris Gray
VM Architect, ACUNIA