Re: NEWS file for next release

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: NEWS file for next release
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:48:22 -0500

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> The patch is neccessary and does work for me (gcc 3.0.4 debian
> prerelease). Does anybody know if it is a real fix or something bogus?

Isn't it just that "::" is a valid operator in C++ (but not in C)?

I have no idea what a line of code that uses three : operators in a row
could possibly mean (in either language) and I can't find the source
code file to get context. But my guess is that the tokenizer is seeing
:: and thinking "ooh, class member operator" (or whatever that operator
is called in c++), and it doesn't occur to it that it might actually be
two separate ":" operators.

Now whether that means the fix is *real* or not is unclear to me. C is
pretty good at avoiding these kinds of ambiguous situations, but I bet
that:

int *a; int b;
c = b/*a;

wouldn't divide b by the value pointed to by a, either :)

Anyone know what these three ":" operators are actually supposed to be
doing in this case? At first I assumed that it was in the context of
some wacky nested use of the ternary operator, but even then the closest
you can get is a?b?c?d:e:f:g - the three ":"s must be separated by
something.

Stuart.
--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer