Re: Release [Was: Orp does zip files]

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Release [Was: Orp does zip files]
Date: 10 Feb 2002 16:28:40 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 05:47, Eric Blake wrote:
> I'm good to go.  Jikes 1-15b is now up and running on its CVS server,
> and Classpath's INSTALL and HACKING have been updated accordingly.

I tested jikes 1.15b with mauve and it can still generate bytecode that
crashes Orp 1.0.9 (note that most of these are probably faults in Orp,
but I haven't checked). I haven't tried other versions of jikes (or gcj)
yet. Attached is my mauve-classpath file.
The results: 135835 of 3605730 tests failed

We could try to work around these things but that might postpone the
release a lot. It might be better to throw this release out in the world
and work on these things for the next release (some are probably things
that should be fixed in the compilers and/or the VMs).

Note that most crashes are in either Vector and GregorianCalendar:

Linking error: ???? (6) while resolving method at constant pool index
222 in class java/util/GregorianCalendar

Fatal error: can't compile
java/util/GregorianCalendar.<init>(Ljava/util/TimeZone;Ljava/util/Locale;)V

Linking error: ???? (6) while resolving method at constant pool index
123 in class java/util/Vector

Fatal error: can't compile java/util/Vector.clone()Ljava/lang/Object;

Maybe working around these two would be nice.

The only real showstopper for me is the fact that java.lang.Character
does not work with the glibj.zip file. We could fix
ClassLoaderHelper.getSystemResourceAsFile() to handle zip files or just
revert to installing all classes and not the zip file.