FileURLConnection

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: FileURLConnection
Date: 26 Feb 2002 17:58:46 +0000

Classpath has a FileURLConnection which does the minimal amount of
work necessary to present the filing system through the URL interface.

GNU-Paperclips needs a new resource handling implementation (because
of various JDK bugs and Paperclips enhancements).

Would anyone consider it evil if I were to add methods to Classpath's
FileURLConnection and then re-use that with Paperclips?

The idea being that I would have a configure time option which told
Paperclips to use it's own handler for the File space... user's
running Paperclips on Classpath could use the native Classpath
version.

The methods I would want to add would be:

  /** Does the specified path exist?
   */
  public static boolean exists(String path);

  /** Does the object pointed at exist?
   */
  public boolean exists();

  /** Is this URLConnection a directory?
   */
  public boolean isDirectory();

  /** If a directory return a set of the directory content.
   */
  public Set getListing();

If it is considered evil I will just have supply a completly fresh
FileURLConnection with Paperclips.

Nic