patch 197: FileURLConnection

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: patch 197: FileURLConnection
Date: 20 Mar 2002 01:57:08 +0000

I've submitted the patch I discussed here previously.

The patch adds some functionality to FileURLConnections. The impetus
for this was GNU-Paperclips which now uses the Classpath code for
implementing a core part of the engine.

We (Paperclips) used to do this by having our own protocol handlers
but this has now become impossible (the change is complex but is due
to multiple webapp configurations).

The methods I've added don't break the API in anyway, they just
supplement it. If Classpath accept these changes it means that
Paperclips on Classpath can be a little leaner than Paperclips on Sun
(because we can detect the presence of this handler and not install
our own).

Here's the ChangeLog entry:

        * gnu/java/net/protocol/file/FileURLConnection.java:
        added imports for directory listings.
        (getLastModified): new method.
        (getContentLength): new method.
        (exists): new method.
        (isDirectory): new method.
        (getListing): new method.

I am happy to discuss the relative merits of adding this to the
Classpath tree and of course, I'll happily withdraw the patch if you
want me to, I can simply issue the code with Paperclips.

Nic