bug in strtod?

From: Thomas Hergenhahn
Subject: bug in strtod?
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:31:30 +0100

Dear all,
I hope this is the right place to post a patch fo libjava.
I'm using libjava from GCC-3.0.4 on Linux i386.
I tried to convert a string of the form 1.234E+000 to a double using
Double.doubleValue(). The result was allways zero (no NumberFormatException).
IMHO, this is a bug. I traced that down until finding the responsible lines
of code in java/lang/strtod.c. The following patch works for me, but better
take a deeper look on it.
BTW, why must libjava implement all this itself? Is it to achieve platform
independency down to the last bit? Does it take advantage of FPU, if one is
present ?

Yours sincerely

Thomas Hergenhahn