Re: Classpath API javadoc

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: Classpath API javadoc
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:37:54 +0200

Brian Jones wrote:
Javadoc is a non-free tool, so installing and running it
systematically on a FSF server is not possible.  Using one of the free
alternatives that exist or waiting for a working gjdoc is necessary.

Why not setup something like this using an early, perhaps incomplete
version of gjdoc, TexInfo doclet and/or XML doclet and then iron out
bugs and add missing functionality over time? One could wait with
linking the docs into the main Classpath web pages, or add a warning
message next to the link until the documentation quality is sufficient.
That's release early - when more eyes look at the output, bugs or
inadequacies will be spotted more quickly.

What I'm going to do next is see that I can run gjdoc on the full
Classpath source code with TexInfo doclet and/or the XML doclet
together with the XSLT sheet - this goal is not far away. I'll then
upload the output somewhere and post a link here so that you can judge
the tools current state. After that, if the quality is sufficient for a
primal online documentation site, we could move on and create the
cron job.

All that may take a couple of days, as I'm quiet occupied at the time,
but I'll see that I get to this soon.

--Julian