Re: Installation directory for shared libs

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Installation directory for shared libs
Date: 01 Jul 2002 23:47:46 -0400

Alex Lau <address@hidden> writes:

> >>This is due to the use of pkglib_LTLIBRARIES in Makefile.am.  We could
> >>have used lib_LTLIBRARIES instead and you would get them in
> >>$prefix/lib.  In this case we'd probably have to rename the libraries
> >>to avoid name collisions.
> >>

> >What collisions do you anticipate?

Probably none, but I notice that libgtkhtml.so is named as such
instead of libhtml.so and so I would expect if these libraries (loaded
at runtime and never linked against) were to be in $(prefix)/lib they
would need some similar naming scheme.

> As far as I understand the debian way ( IMHO it is a good standard)
> of handle the all the dynamic link library will be located at
> $prefix/lib, for runtime resource it could be located at
> $prefix/lib/package.

I think the LSB standard would be a good reference as well as Debian.
If runtime resources go in a package specific directory then the
status quo should be okay although it does mean that a JVM must have a
suitable script that adds the Classpath lib directory to the platform
specific load path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Solaris and Linux) and (PATH)
on Windows and something else on HP/UX and something different still
on AIX and I've no idea what MacOS X is.  From a usability point of
view I don't believe anyone should be linking against these particular
shared libraries due to the nature of Java... I guess the world
changes a bit if you look at gcj instead but the question had to do
with Classpath's JNI shared libraries.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>