Newbie experiences

From: Daryl Lee
Subject: Newbie experiences
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:33:34 -0400

In most cases I would either struggle through all this quietly or give up and
go somewhere else.  But I'm going to give this project a more serious try.  I
am reporting my "newbie" experiences in the hopes of maybe improving the
product.  Scott already reported one small improvement in the documentation.
Here are my results in trying to get "Hello, World" running for the first time.

Tools on hand (as reported with --version option)
autoconf 2.53
automake 1.6.3
autoheader 2.53
libtool 1.4.2
gcj 3.2
GTK+ 1.2.10

Other components, versions learned some other way
libart_lgpl 2.2.0
ORP 1.0.10

Checked out fresh classpath source tree.
1.  aclocal ran silently
2.  autoheader produced (indented to differentiate from my notes):
  WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
  WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
  WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

  WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
  WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
  WARNING: `acconfig.h':

  WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
  WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

  WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
  WARNING: documentation.
  autoheader: `include/config.h.in' is created

3.  automake produced:
  configure.in:18: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
  configure.in:18: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
  configure.in:18: with aclocal and run automake again.
  /usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
  /usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
  /usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
  /usr/local/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
  < DOL: the last four lines above are repeated six more times in the ouput >

4.  autoconf ran silently
5.  ./configure ran normally (as nearly as I could tell).
6.  make began to run, but then I noticed it called jikes; the INSTALL
documentation implies gcj is
the default.  An error ensued.  I reran configure with options (--with-gcj
--enable-jni)
This time, make ran normally (as nearly as I could tell), but with the
following at the
end of otherwise normal make-like output:
  make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/daryl/java/gnujava/classpath/classpath/native/fdlibm'
  Makefile:257: *** missing separator.  Stop.
  make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/daryl/java/gnujava/classpath/classpath/native/fdlibm'
  make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/daryl/java/gnujava/classpath/classpath/native'
  make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

7.  "make check" and "make install" produced the same final output

8.  running orp as specified in the document "GNU Classpath and ORP" failed:
couldn't locate
java/lang/Object.  I changed CLASSPATH to
/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath/glibj.zip
(note the zip file at the end), and got a bad-looking error (second line split
for readability):
  Uncaught exception:
  orp: stack_manipulation_ia32.cpp:314: unsigned int orp_get_stack_depth
    (Frame_Context *, Class **, void **, int, unsigned int):
    Assertion `!( strcmp("exit", name) && strcmp("main", name)
    && strcmp("initializeSystemClass", name) && strcmp("run", name)
    && name[0] != '<')' failed.
  Aborted

At this point, I decided my brain was full and decided to seek help.

--
Daryl Lee
Marietta, GA