Re: JamaicaVM and GNU Classpath

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: JamaicaVM and GNU Classpath
Date: 26 Oct 2002 23:26:05 -0400

Andy Walter <address@hidden> writes:

> However, I managed to convince the rest of aicas that at least
> merging the API would be a great thing to everybody. I'm afraid more
> is not possible at the moment.

And that's a really big deal in and of itself sometimes.

> > So I would ask you kindly to only distribute you VM as free software.
> > See for example Ada Core Technologies <http://www.gnat.com/> for an
> > example of a commercial Free Software business. Or of course
> > http://wonka.acunia.com/.
>
> Of course, I know Acunia and that there are other open source
> VMs. They have different business models. There is a binary version
> for Linux on our homepage which is legally, but not functionally,
> restricted to 30 days.  Currently, more is really not possible.

I am not quite so zealous with regards to free software.  There are
benefits and risks associated with both free and proprietary software
models.  Classpath is a project of the FSF and we want to promote free
software virtual machines as much as possible, but Classpath, the
library, is fairly neutral in this regard.

> Sure, this is the easiest way for everybody. We use our own repository here
> and intend to synchronize with the Classpath CVS about twice in a year.

Twice in a year?  I think Internet Time stopped the day the bubble
burst.  ;)  It probably won't be too bad once the VM interface becomes
more stability and releases become more or less bug free due to
intense testing against Mauve.

--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>