Re: Status update and some questions/suggestions about remaining Intel/O

From: Andy Walter
Subject: Re: Status update and some questions/suggestions about remaining Intel/Orp patches
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:40:32 +0200

Hi,

On Sunday 27 October 2002 02:22, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> - java/io/Object*Stream.java. We had these classes merged with libgcj
> but they are diverging again. This is code I don't know much about and
> has some very subtle issues that are easy to get wrong. One thing I like
> about the libgcj version is that it has a lot less native methods and
> does more with reflection. That makes the code much more portable. Is
> there a (performance?) reason for using so many native calls?

To me, avoiding native methods as often as possible is preferable as well. But
I'm not so sure whether using reflection in java.io.* is a such a good thing.
Generating binaries that contain all needed classes (including those of the
library) is an easy job, as long as reflection is not used. When reflection
is used, you have to tell your compiler explicitly something like "if this
method is called, we need that method as well". I had expected that the GCC
guys have this problem as well.

> Also Jeroen Frijters just submitted a small patch that should be integrated.
> Any volunteers?

I'd be interested in becoming actively involved especially in the java.io.*
package. But before doing anything else, I'd like to make our VM run smoothly
with Classpath. If the patch is still unapplied in, say, two weeks, I'll take
it.

Cheers,

        Andy.

--
aicas GmbH * Hoepfner Burg                       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18 * 76131 Karlsruhe         \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail