Re: I wish to help

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: I wish to help
Date: 05 Nov 2002 16:52:57 -0700

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> But I just tried to get this working again and it isn't that
Mark> easy if you don't know what you have to do precisely.

Fair enough.

I wrote a couple scripts that work for me.  They are appended.  They
are pretty bogus; the `build' script just recompiles everything each
time, and the `copy-awt' script hard-codes the names of the files you
need today (but maybe not tomorrow :-).

However, with these scripts I can follow a simple recipe:

* Build classpath.  Make sure you --enable-jni
* Make a new place to hack: mkdir gcj-awt; cd gcj-awt
* Copy the files: copy-awt /path/to/classpath/src .
* Build: ./build
* Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH the way that build says to; don't forget to
  include the libgcj libdir (for non-system installs)
* ./TestAWT

Tom> Maybe it would help if we checked in the peers and build
Tom> machinery to libgcj.  Then people could have a semi-functional
Tom> AWT.  Do you think that would inspire patches from users?

Mark> Yes, I think this is a very nice idea.

I think we can't do that right now, since we're in the wrong phase of
the gcc release cycle.  However I think we should put this in as soon
as possible and have it appear in 3.4.

Tom