Re: Thoughts on 'reference classes'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Thoughts on 'reference classes'
Date: 27 Feb 2003 17:47:53 -0700

Jeroen> My VM (http://ikvm.net) is built on top of .NET, so I
Jeroen> want to use the .NET class libraries for I/O, but the current
Jeroen> java.io.FileDescriptor uses an int as the native handle, while I want
Jeroen> the use a reference to a .NET stream object.

Brian> This is an assumption that isn't even valid under all flavors
Brian> of UNIX; think 64 bit file systems for example.

In libgcj we're using `int' in FileDescriptor.  I don't think we have
cross-platform problems.  However, it wouldn't hurt to change this to
`long'.  I know this has come up before with libgcj, but I don't
remember why we never made a change -- probably because on Windows,
sizeof(int)==sizeof(void*).

Tom