Re: Miranda methods again (Was: compatibility with jikes ?)

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Miranda methods again (Was: compatibility with jikes ?)
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:00:22 -0800 (PST)

--- Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,

> writes:
> >
> > Mark> I vote that we add the Miranda methods
> explicitly to the
> > Mark> abstract classes in Classpath that need
> them.
> >
> > Don't we only need this to work around gcj bugs?
> Maybe this should
> > only happen in the gcj tree.
>
> Nope. There are more VMs that don't work correctly
> when those Miranda
> methods are not declared in an abstract class. And
> the latest jikes
> doesn't automatically generate them anymore.

yeah, but ... that only help with classpath's classes.
As soon as some third-party jar triggers the miranda
bug, you're back to square one, right?

I think it would be better to write some docs on how
to fix it. Reminds me that I should fix the miranda
bug in kaffe, btw...

Serialization: I don't think one can get it right
without specifying the serial version ids anyway
because of naming differences of automatically
generated methods in compiler implementations.

cheers,
dalibor topic