Re: Thoughts on 'reference classes'

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Thoughts on 'reference classes'
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:30:59 -0800 (PST)

Stephen Crawley wrote:
> > > Fun! Do you have specific needs that non of the current ones fullfill or
> > > do you just like the challenge?
> >
> > The main reason is that I just want one of my own for the fun of it! :-)
> > That also means I understand it and can debug it competently if something
> > breaks. Other motivations are portability/suitabilty for use on embedded
> > systems. E.g. I'm tired of programming in C all the time when programming
> > in Java would be so much nicer, but is not practical for various reasons.
>
> None of that explains why it would be a good idea to impose your changes
> on other Classpath-based projects.  I've no problem with you having fun
> with "vm/reference", but I'd object to being burdened with tracking the
> results in Kissme ... unless there was a clear benefit overall.

Naturally.. I wouldn't want any one VM to impose itself onto the
others for no good reason either.

But the exact meaning of "clear benefit overall" requires discussion,
which is why it seems worthwhile to bring these questions up.

Cheers,
-Archie

Archie Cobbs     *     Precision I/O      *     http://www.precisionio.com