memory allocation

From: Brian Jones
Subject: memory allocation
Date: 28 Apr 2003 08:18:23 -0400

Some time ago someone mentioned that they would like memory allocated
within the classpath native libraries to use the JVM to
allocate/deallocate for better tracking of usage, etc.  There appears
to be nothing in the JNI to really do this so I'm thinking that Sun
doesn't bother either.  The situation with libraries like GDK, GTK,
glib, etc. probably would complicate things.  I don't know of a way of
changing the method of memory allocation in existing libraries without
modifying the code to explicitly support such things, but I could be
wrong here.  So are there any changes that need to be made with
respect to the use of malloc, etc. in JNI libraries?

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>