Re: classpath 0.06?

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: classpath 0.06?
Date: 27 Jul 2003 17:00:12 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 15:56, David P Grove wrote:
> There was some discussion a month or so ago about making a classpath
> 0.06 distribution.  Is there a chance this could happen sometime
> relatively soon?  We're thinking about making the next release of
> Jikes RVM in 2-3 weeks and it would be great to be able to get all the
> hard work done in classpath since 0.05 out to our users.  Almost all
> of them use classpath 0.05 instead of classpath cvs head because the
> install process is easier.

Having a release/snapshot now seems like good idea since 0.05 has been
almost 6 months ago now. I would like to propose a quick release
schedule of about three weeks. First one and a half week to get the last
things in that people feel we must have for 0.06 (e.g. make sure the
Aicas JNI C native layer is complete, update the gjdoc api generation,
there is also one SecurityManager/VMSecurityManager thing that might be
nice, maybe the Thread/VMThread thing, although it might be a bit big to
change so close to the release). Feel free to make suggestions (but be
prepared to provide code soon). And then have one and a half week to
stabilize this thing and make sure it works with as much VMs (CVS
versions probably) as possible. Then lets try to release it on August 15
2003 which would be precisely 6 months after 0.05.

What do people think about this plan?