Re: RFC: Spin Java petition

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: RFC: Spin Java petition
Date: 05 Oct 2003 00:19:08 -0400

Arnaud Vandyck <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've just read an article on Newsforge:
> http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/10/02/1240243.shtml?tid=3
>
> And in a comment, I saw this reference:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/spinjava/petition.html
>
> I copy the text below. I did not sign the petition right now because I'd
> like to have your comments before doing it (or not!) ;)

Sun has a lot of reorganization to do in order to stop bleeding cash
each quarter.  I don't really care about this petition because what
would really useful is for Sun to 'let go' of Java by releasing the
core development kit/runtime under a free software license as defined
by the FSF; hopefully something gcj could use.

They could actually just release under SCSL and BSD for example,
continue to drive the platform from industry perspective via JCP and
perhaps lighten up the resources devoted to the core platform.  But
don't hold your breath, the IP is probably considered too valuable.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>