Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part of VMInterface

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part of VMInterface
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:05:45 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 19:43, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> One of the things I keep stumbling over whenever I merge code from
> Classpath into Kaffe is the different native library names. Would it be
> possible to separate those out into their own VMInterface class and use
> references instead?
>
> I'd prefer something like
>
> System.loadLibrary(VMNativeLibraries.IO);
>
> to what we have now,
>
> System.loadLibrary("javaio");

I suggest to move the System.loadLibrary("javaio") calls completely into
the VMInterface classes. We want to have a system where (at least for
lang, net, io and util) we have the "native" calls in the VMInterface
classes. We then provide a reference implementation that implements this
with JNI using our own libraries.

This will be a bit more work since we still have a few classes that do
use "native" methods which don't have a VMInterface counterpart, but it
is the cleanest solution in the long run.

One thing that isn't split yet is java.io File and FileDescriptor. But
Anthony Green already had a proposal for splitting that up on the libgcj
mailinglist (he calls the VMInterface classes, Platform classes, but the
idea is the same).