Re: new jalopy available

From: David P Grove
Subject: Re: new jalopy available
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:34:37 -0500

For what it's worth, we (Jikes RVM) have been getting complaints from users who are trying to browse Jikes RVM source code using Eclipse that it is somewhat annoying to have tabs in the source code.  If a tab represents 8 spaces, but your spaces per indentation level is something else (eg 2 or 4) then the IDE gets unhappy and starts doing wierd stuff.  It also creates a minor annoyance when you get patches from users that created them in an ide where spaces per tab is often set equal to indent level.

We've decided to give up on tabs in all of Jikes RVM's source code as the slight increase in file size doesn't seem to be worth the annoyance.

Just a random comment; the minor space gains from using tabs may not be worth the trouble. YMMV.

--dave