Re: Access control contexts (silly idea)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Access control contexts (silly idea)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:50:18 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 20:18, Casey Marshall wrote:
> I was looking into ways to implement the AccessController.getContext
> method, and devised a way to do it without dipping into native
> methods. In short, it uses the getStackTrace method of Throwable to
> obtain the current stack, fetches each Class named in the stack, then
> gets the ProtectionDomain for that Class.
>
> This is a kludge, and I would not be surprised that certain conditions
> cause this to fail.

The idea is fun, but since you cannot get at the ClassLoader of the
Class it just doesn't work. (Except for classes loaded through the
application/system and/or bootstrap classloader which isn't that
interesting.) But you did fill in almost all of the logic that we were
missing. Thanks!

I just saw that Stephen Crawley posted a patch for a real
VMAccessController entry point. Combining that with your fixes should
give us everything needed.
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=2788

P.S. Sorry for not replying earlier. Some of this could have gone in for
0.08, but I don't want to change to much just before the release.