"Java, Mono, or C++?"

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: "Java, Mono, or C++?"
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:18:21 +0100

Hello Havoc,

a very interesting article! I write this mail without having asked the
others who work on GNU Classpath, but I think I can speak for everyone
when I say that we all are glad about such thoughtful writings!

Just a minor comment: There actually exist quite a variety of open-source
JVMs, many more than were mentioned in your text. For an overview
(basically a few "bullet points" for each VM), see e.g. the Classpath
talk at last FOSDEM:

  http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/articles/classpathFeb2004/

(The VM overview starts at page 24. Before, the talk tries to explain why
we think that Java is a reasonable choice for free software, and tells
about the current state of implementation).

Personally, I'm not sure whether having so many VMs is good. But as you
noted in your text, it doesn't really matter that much, because most
development gets shared via GNU Classpath.

Best regards,

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/