RE: Use of VMSecurityManager.getClassContext()

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Use of VMSecurityManager.getClassContext()
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:53:51 +0100

Andrew Haley wrote:
> David Holmes writes:
>  > That was my initial thought but the generalization is
> trivial and useful.
>  > For example, given the XXX/VMxxx split having only
> getCallerClass wouldn't
>  > allow XXX to defer to VMxxx and have VMxxx find the real caller.
>
> Perhaps we don't need to defer to VMxxx if we have a portable way to
> do getCallerClass.

I don't see how. My desire to have a getCallerClass is because I want to
be able to support method inlining properly. If the JIT knows about
getCallerClass, it can do the right thing. The generalization is not
inline proof.

I don't particularly care where it lives though, because I'm likely to
ignore the implementation and let the JIT emit some magic when this
method is called.

Regards,
Jeroen