Re: [kaffe] Jikes RVM is now fully free software

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: [kaffe] Jikes RVM is now fully free software
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:24:00 +0100

Hi Steven,

Steven Augart wrote:
Jikes RVM, which formerly required a proprietary (Sun) JVM to write
out the boot image, no longer needs that proprietary VM.  You can now
use Kaffe to write out the Jikes RVM boot image.  Those who want to
use only free software tools can now build and work with Jikes RVM.

That's great news! I'm looking forward to getting my hand on the JikesRVM and speeding up kaffe to make it a convenient environment for developing with JikesRVM.

That code is now in the CVS head.  You can read about how to use it by
starting at
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/userguide/HTML/Bootstrapping_with_Kaffe.html

Thanks for the  write-up, I'll give it a spin during the week.

I want to thank Dalibor Topic for his quick responses to my questions
about Kaffe, and Grzegorz Prokopski and Mark Wielaard for their moral
support, encouragement, and perspective.

Thanks for having the patience to actually make it happen!

cheers,
dalibor topic