VMRuntime.insertSystemProperties(); java.ext.dirs

From: Steven Augart
Subject: VMRuntime.insertSystemProperties(); java.ext.dirs
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:46:21 -0500

I have been implementing the rest of the mandatory properties as listed in VMRuntime.insertSystemProperties(). I'm puzzled by the java.ext.dirs property, which is listed both in VMRuntime and in the Sun 1.4.2 API docs as mandatory. Classpath sticks everything into glibj.zip, including the javax classes. Neither gij 3.3.1 nor Kaffe 1.1.4 define it.

I'm setting it to the empty string for now, in Jikes RVM's implementation. But I wonder what it would mean if someone were to explicitly set it to another value. Would it mean that the bootstrap class loader should start to look for javax.* classes wherever java.ext.dirs points? I could certainly prepend or append java.ext.dirs to the bootstrap class path (either explicitly or implicitly), but I have the feeling that something else might have been in the minds of the Java API authors. Right now, setting it does nothing.

Any thoughts?

--Steve Augart

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, open source Research Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm

Office: +1 914/784-6743
T.J. Watson Research Center, IBM