Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Robert Lougher
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:22:40 +0000

Could you post your versions? It might be interesting to see whether we
can adopt this approach as default in the vm/reference implementation.
VMThread now does have a lot of native methods. But I believe I
discussed some of these issues with Jeroen and if I remember correctly
there were some subtle issues with just doing everything as wrappers
over Object.wait()/notify().

The current approach allows the VM a lot of freedom. Trying to do too much in Java removes >this, and in my opinion forces many VM implementors to abandon the VM interface altogether.

You were talking about the VMThread implementation. I jumped to the conclusion that you meant Thread. Sorry.

Rob.

Express yourself with cool emoticons - download MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger