jikes CVS vs GNU Classpath

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: jikes CVS vs GNU Classpath
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 22:00:56 +0200

Hi Thomas,

I can confirm that jikes from CVS is not able anymore to compile GNU
Classpath. But both jikes 1.18 and 1.19 are (1.19 does produce lots and
lots of warnings though).

It seems that it started failing somewhere between jikes CVS from 5 and
8 weeks ago. But I haven't had time to really look into it. It seems
that it is a general problem when the source file arguments contain ".."
in their path (and not our use of the @classes-file construct) as can be
seen by the following example.

$ /usr/local/jikes/bin/jikes +P -bootclasspath
/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath/glibj.zip
../odonata-0.1/src/uk/co/tangency/odonata/test/Demo.java

Found 1 system error:

*** Semantic Error: The input file
"../odonata-0.1/src/uk/co/tangency/odonata/test/Demo.java" was not found.

I have CCed the jikes-dev mailinglist since they might know more about
this new/buggy(?) behavior. Should ".." (or in general a path as above
were the directory name is larger then the package name) be allowed in
the source file name? We currently depend on that working for the GNU
Classpath build.