Re: Patch: remove C++ keywords

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Patch: remove C++ keywords
Date: 07 Apr 2004 15:13:57 -0600

>>>>> "Ingo" == Ingo Prötel <address@hidden> writes:

Ingo> I would like to suggest removing all C++ keywords as names in
Ingo> the native implementations of GNU Classpath. We have a customer
Ingo> who insists on using C++ because of the more thorough code
Ingo> inspection.  To be able to compile with such a compiler we need
Ingo> to change all names that are C++ keywords.

I think this idea is fine.  It doesn't bother me anyway... though I'd
suggest waiting for a response from folks who hack on the JNI code
more than me :-)

My only comment or criticism is that, in the absence of regular
checking for this, we'll just see more code like it checked in.
That's been the experience with non-C89 constructs, I don't see why
this would be any different.  It's just too hard to remember to write
in some language subset without compiler-assisted checking.

We could declare all the JNI code to actually be C++, of course.  But
then we'd see real C++ usage slip in.

A third option would be for you to periodically try it out and check
in patches like the one you sent :-).  Assuming the other developers
are ok with this, it wouldn't be unreasonable, just a bit messy.

Tom