Re: Eclipse and Classpath

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Eclipse and Classpath
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:17:01 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 17:26, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Yesterday I spent a little time setting up Classpath as a project in
> Eclipse.  After some tweaking, I was able to come up with the appended
> patch.  This just adds a couple files that enable Classpath as an
> Eclipse project.
>
> If you try this out, you will have to make a "Configuration.java" by
> hand.  I did this by copying Configuration.java.in and editing the
> result to be valid Java source.  It is probably possible to teach
> Eclipse to run autogen.sh and configure, but I haven't tried this.
>
> I'd like to check this in but thought I'd first see if anybody has
> strong objections to it.  mjw was down on the idea on irc, but I'm
> hoping that was just lack of food :-).

It was not just lack of food. But eating something did make me happier!

There are a couple of things that I am worried about:
- Having large and/or binary blobs in CVS for particular editors/IDEs.
  (This seems a non-issue now that I have seen the actual files.)
- Having multiple build systems were we have enough maintenance work
  with the current one. And I don't think Eclipse is powerful enough to
  support our build setup needs. Also Eclipse (or Ant, or whatever java
  based build system) does make bootstrapping GNU Classpath much harder.
  So it will never be a real solution for our build setup.
  (That said, I see this is mostly a simple editor/IDE helper file and
   not something that even tries to replace the current build system.)
- Pretending we support Eclipse which is arguably non-free since people
  are not testing, running and developing it with free runtimes.
  (You claim adding this might make this happen sooner. I do hope so.)

If you can show me some people that run Eclipse in a free environment
that are actually happy with using your setup files than I am all for
including them. But you must promise to maintain them. The only hard
part seem to come up with the list of "classpaths" and the "exclusion
list", which is done by hand in our normal build system also.