Re: VMFile confusion

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: VMFile confusion
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:39:45 +0200

Am Samstag, 24. April 2004 22:12 schrieb Archie Cobbs:
> My apologies for adding to the confusion with my question about
> Etienne's compliant about adding a VMFile class. Now I understand
> what he was saying and agree with him.
>
> To summarize, there is a distinction between native code Classpath
> must leave to the individual VM to implement vs. native code that
> can be implemented in a shared library which is shared among all
> the VMs. Traditionally Classpath has created VMFoo classes only for
> native code of the former type.
>
> So applying this logic, there should be no VMFile class because the
> native methods of File.java are all implementable in a "normal"
> Classpath-supplied shared library and are not VM-specific.

I'm not bound to the VM* prefix, I dont really care about it. In updated
versions of the patch I use Platform*. I just thought in the first run
that it may be VM specific because each VM may implement it
differently. E.g. in JNode it may be implemented in pure Java and so it
is somehow VM dependent.

Michael