performance problems with classpath 0.09 on Jikes RVM

From: David P Grove
Subject: performance problems with classpath 0.09 on Jikes RVM
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:38:25 -0400

I'm doing some initial performance comparisons of classpath 0.08 and classpath 0.09 on Jikes RVM (cvs head).  I've found that the performance of _228_jack (one of the SPECjvm98 benchmarks) suffers a serve degradation on classpath 0.09.  It is twice as slow (10 seconds vs 5 seconds on my machine with a production version of Jikes RVM cvs head) with the only difference being the version of classpath.

An initial investigation seems to point the finger at the changes in the classpath I/O layers between these two versions.  In particular, the profiling data suggests a large increase in both direct and indirect costs of I/O due to the implementation of gnu_java_nio_channels_FileChannelImpl.get_native_fd which is doing 3 JNI calls per invocation, two of which are going to convert strings from C => Java causing allocation in the VM and driving up the GC rate (time spent in GC doubles looking at classpath 0.08 vs. classpath 0.09).

I think there is a relatively easy fix to this particular problem by computing and caching the fieldId as part of the init method.  I'm willing to play with this and provide a patch if this does ease the performance degradation.  But I did want to check to see if (1) anyone else has noted the problem and (2) if a fix is already being prepared.

thanks,

--dave