Re: Bug? - japitools - Dropped protected method not detected

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: Bug? - japitools - Dropped protected method not detected
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:24:29 +0200

Am Dienstag, 8. Juni 2004 16:12 schrieb Stuart Ballard:
> Peter Connolly wrote:
> > When I delete a protected method from a new version of a jar and
> > compare the old vs. the new using japitools, the report does not
> > flag the fact that the method is missing.
> >
> > According to the list of illegal changes between jar files:
> >
> > http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/jcompat.txt
> >

> > Methods:
> > - ILLEGAL: deleting public/protected methods
> >
> > ...so this should have been reported, right???
>
> Try using zgrep (or gunzip and grep separately) for the name of the
> method you dropped, in each of the two japi files. If it's
> correctly present in the first one and correctly NOT present in the
> second, then there's a problem in japicompat; otherwise, there's a
> problem in Japize.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have much (any, really) time to maintain
> japitools these days. I'm more than willing to help track down the
> problem and to apply a patch to fix it, but unless it's really
> simple and obvious, I probably don't have time to write the patch
> myself.
>
> Oh, and as far as finalize() is concerned: That's not an
> incompatible change, the method is always present in the superclass
> because it's inherited from java.lang.Object. Japitools (and Sun)
> don't require that the method be implemented at the same level of
> the inheritance hierarchy in subsequent versions, just that it's
> present somewhere in the superclass chain. Perhaps the same thing
> is happening with the other method you removed?
>
> > The reason we're so suspicious is that we NEED tools like
> > JApiTools to help us recognize when developers here are
> > committing incompatible changes.  We're not as interested in
> > comparing different versions of JDK as we are in comparing
> > changes within our own .jar files.
>
> I'd be really interested in having some help maintaining japitools.
> If you're using it on a regular basis, would you consider helping
> to maintain it? It's obviously not much work except for when
> something breaks - and even only doing a very small amount is an
> improvement on what I've been able to do lately :)
>
> Since the last release I've had various reports of incorrect
> behavior that I've not been able to find time to track down.
> Michael Koch was doing some work on false-positive supression but I
> haven't heard from him lately; I never saw the unfinished patches
> (and certainly wouldn't have had time myself to finish them).

Damn, this is still on my hard disk. I will try to finish it and send
it to you for inclusion, rejection or whatever ;-)

In generally I'm  interested to do some work on japitools as time
allows, I just have put other things higher on my TODO lately, sorry.
I will try to raise it a bit again.

Michael
- --
Homepage: http://www.worldforge.org/