Re: [Fw] GridBagLayout in kaffe CVS HEAD

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: [Fw] GridBagLayout in kaffe CVS HEAD
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:34:51 -0400

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 10:00, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Maybe address@hidden or address@hidden will help you better than
> me. I Cc them.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Cheers,

> From: James Damour <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: GridBagLayout in kaffe CVS HEAD
> Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:38:26 -0400
>
> Hello!

Hi,

>   I am a developer of the MegaMek project
> (http://megamek.sourceforge.net) and I'm trying to get MegaMek to run
> under a free VM.  So far, Kaffe is the most successful at running
> MegaMek, but it has problems with laying out the windows.  I was
> wondering if you could help me debug the problem or point me to someone
> who can.
>
> I've created a simple test case and I've attached it to this email.

Thanks!  David Jee is looking into this.

> compile the code using both the jikes v1.18 that is in Debian Sarge
> (with -bootclasspath is /usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/rt.jar) and with kjc.
> When I run under Blackdown JRE v1.3.1, I can see the text in all of the
> buttons (and they're about 8 cm wide); when I run under Kaffe, the
> buttons are too narrow (about 1 cm wide).  As this email's title says,
> I'm currently following Kaffe's HEAD branch, so I've gotten the
> latest-and-greatest version of your Classpath.
>
> I'm willing to take whatever steps are necessary to resolve this issue,
> but I'm not really sure where to start.  Should I even try to work this
> through with Kaffe?  Should I try using the gcj AWT/Swing CVS branch
> instead?  Any insights that you may provide would be greatly
> appreciated.

Yes, I would recommend working on GCJ's java-gui-branch, since that's
where new AWT and Swing development is being done.  I've done some work
that makes setting up a GCJ-based GUI development environment pretty
easy:

http://people.redhat.com/fitzsim/gcj-and-jhbuild.html

Do you already have an FSF copyright assignment?  If not, you'll need to
get one before you start submitting AWT/Swing patches.

Good to hear you're interested in helping out!

Tom