Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:36:58 +0200

Regier Avery J wrote:
Actually, one of the big announcements on the first day at JavaOne was that
Java3D was being open sourced.  I'm not sure if the licence is compatible or
not, though.  I would hope that since LookingGlass is GPLed that it is legally
compatible.  For details see: https://j3d-core.dev.java.net/

The code of the examples and the code of the utilities are published under 'nuclear BSD' licence, i.e. BSD without advertising clause but with a 'don't build nukes with this' warning disclaimer.

The API implementation and vecmath are not open source, unfortunately. Sun's marketing gave the wrong impression there, they forgot to mention that core parts of Sun's implementation of Java3d remain non-free. :)

But it is certainly sweet that they released more code under open source licenses.

cheers,
dalibor topic