Re: A query on the classloader architecture

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: A query on the classloader architecture
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:18:11 +0200

On Monday 12 July 2004 00:43, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> So.. (I hope this doesn't sound like an annoying question) what is the
> point of creating your "Java bootstrap classloader" ? Why not just let
> your primoridal native code class loader fill this role as well? Is all
> you're trying to do is prevent getClassLoader() from ever returning null?

Some of us just like programming in Java. So the C classloader is as kept very
simple - for example it only looks in one file - while the Java bootstrap
class loader can be more complex. If we wanted for example to store only the
bare minimum (20 or so classes) on the device and load the rest using tftp,
all the code to do that would be in the Java part.

Preventing getClassLoader() from ever returning null is a possible further
step; it would simplify some code, but nothing earth-shaking.

--
Chris Gray                      /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi        http://www.kiffer.be/k/