Re: license question

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: license question
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:41:56 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 18:23, Ben Hinkle wrote:
>  My question is simple: what license would such a port fall under?

The answer is probably a bit harder and depends on the specific
circumstances and if the way you create the port is a new work or a
derived work of the original implementation. To get real answers to your
questions see our FAQ:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/faq/faq.html

        2.4 I have a question about licensing GNU Classpath. Who can I
        ask?

        Direct such questions to address@hidden The FSF is the
        official copyright holder of Classpath and sets the distribution
        terms

        2.5 How can I be sure that my application does not break the
        license?

        The FSF has a GPL-compliance lab which offers consulting
        services for companies who are working to develop products that
        incorporate Free Software so that they can do so in ways that
        comply with the terms of the GPL and other Free Software
        licenses. If you are interested in this service, please write to
        address@hidden

So contact the FSF, they can give you real advise depending on the exact
situation. The members on this list don't have legal training and
getting an answer from the FSF on your particular situation prevents
depending on speculation on this list (which is primarily used for
technical discussions).

> It looks like Classpath uses the GPL (not LGPL) with the "special
> exception" which states that if one links statically *or dynamically* to
> the classpath library that the sum is governed by the GPL. But then
> there is the statement that "independent modules" aren't governed by the
> GPL.

For the exact terms see our license page (a copy of which is included in
each distribution) which also defines the term independent module:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html

> Am I correct in reading this whole thing that any such port would mean any
> code that uses the library would have to be GPL?

Distributing the complete work under the GPL is always an option.
(One which I would recommend!).