Re: bug 10491 was Re: More astonishing progress in japi scores

From: Sven de Marothy
Subject: Re: bug 10491 was Re: More astonishing progress in japi scores
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:17:04 +0200

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 18:01, Per Bothner wrote:
> That other issue is that system strtod may not be accurate.
> Note that parseDouble is required to return the *closest*
> double.  This is a difficult requirement to meet, and cannot be done
> by simple (i.e. traditional) implementations.

Which is also a good argument against re-implementing it, unless we have
to. Apparently the strtod.c file in gcj/classpath is not actually from
fdlibm but rather from newlib.

> If the strtod in glibc is threadsafe *and* accurate, then we should
> probably use it, at least as a default.

Dalibor Topic said on IRC that it has some problems on Irix. So it might
not be a good idea. So perhaps adding a special case would be best, or
you could solve it upstream by adding support for NaN and infinity to
newlib.

/Sven