Eclipse

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Eclipse
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:32:58 +0100

Hi all,
        I know the issue of Eclipse working with GNU Classpath has mentioned
several times on the mailing list in the past.  Can anyone give me a
status update, especially as regards the 3.x series?  We have an
upcoming project at University which we involve building a plugin for
Eclipse, and, obviously, I would much prefer this to be on a Free Java
platform.  As a result, getting Classpath working well with Eclipse is
an area I'd particularly like to look into.

        I last looked at Eclipse just after JAXP was removed from Classpath.
IIRC, it failed looking for the XML stuff, which suggests that JAXP
needs to be there -- what's the best way to get this back in (or other
such extensions -- I'm only familiar with this as regards Sun's)? I'm
using JamVM with CVS classpath, at present.

Plus, with the XML decoder, are there any plans to put this stuff back
in?  It means more maintenance work, but perhaps the current maintainers
could move to working on Classpath?  I don't know what the comparative
sizes are of the developers and users as regards Classpath and JAXP,
but, as a guess, I would say that Classpath has the upper hand.  Also,
anyone used to Sun's Java (including things that rely on it) would
probably expect it to exist (although, of course, that's no reason in
itself -- they also may expect com.sun...)

Anyway, thanks, and continue on with the great work,
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner