Re: gnu.java.nio.FileChannelImpl

From: Ewout Prangsma
Subject: Re: gnu.java.nio.FileChannelImpl
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:03:19 +0100

Michael Koch wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 25. November 2004 18:13 schrieb Ewout Prangsma:

Now the FileInputStream constructor does a "new
FileChannelImpl(...)", instead i suggest to let is call
"VMFileChannel.open(...)" that returns a FileChannel implemented by
the VM. The default implementation would be to return a new
FileChannelImpl, so that would mean no native changes.

Yes, such stuff can be done as optimization. But we have to do this carefully. We have to make sure this can be exploited by bad code. I would guess the current code can be exploited. I need to write some applets to test this.

I think this approach would be safer, because the open method i mentioned can (and should) be package protected. The current FileChannelImpl is public, so everyone can access it. About the optimization, i consider it necessary when i want to use classpath out of the box, since i'm not supporting native methods.

Ewout

Michael