Re: RFC: gnu.classpath.SystemProperties

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: RFC: gnu.classpath.SystemProperties
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:22:15 +0100

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 08:33, Mark Wielaard wrote:

> All this painfully points out how fragile the security mechanism is in
> the face of user defined ClassLoaders. After reading the above I am not
> so sure the way some applications overload ClassLoader.loadClass() is
> done correctly (unfortunately this seems a common technique in the J2EE
> world).

Basically you cannot trust a user-defined loadClass() to do anything right.
Nor is it just theoretical  - I've seen some user-defined class loaders, and
they were not pleasant to read.

The runtime can prevent some of the worst excesses by invoking the system
class loader directly whenever the class name begins with "java." or
"<foo>.", by-passing the virtual method lookup. That should be easy to
implement on most VMs, and shouldn't break any code which would otherwise
work.

(As far as the slash/dot issue is concerned, you just have to decide which one
you are going to use internally, and always convert the other form at the
boundary. Tolerating both in the same context is going to get you into
trouble one way or another).

--
Chris Gray                      /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi        http://www.kiffer.be/k/

Visit us at Embedded World 2005 <http://www.embedded-world.de/>
22--24 Feb. 2005 at the Nürnberg Messe (Germany), booth 10-133