Re: [cp-patches] Fix For Bug #11545 -- Locale Regression

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: [cp-patches] Fix For Bug #11545 -- Locale Regression
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:08:11 -0600

Andrew John Hughes wrote:
Yes, I've seen this Mauve testcase (which, IIRC, now fails). Personally, I feel that copying obscure parts of Sun's implementation is
not right for GNU Classpath.  The above is not documented (AFAICS) in
the specification, and only occurs in Sun's VM.  In fact, the
documentation for setCurrency() suggests that null is a perfectly valid
value for the currency attribute.  I haven't invented a new scheme, but
followed the spec. (and common sense) as much as possible.
getCurrency() returning null is a lot clearer than obscure "XXX" strings
getting into your programs anyway, IMO.  Generally, if you want the
currency symbols, I would imagine you would ensure that they are
available.

If you have time and haven't already, please file a JDK bug so
that we'll have some glimmer of hope of resolving this ambiguity
in the spec.

  http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/index.jsp

Thanks,
-Archie