RE: URL protocol handler classloader

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: URL protocol handler classloader
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:59:21 +1000

Steven Augart writes:
> If every context class loader were guaranteed to delegate upward first,
> then we'd have no reason to put in the backup plan (delegate to the system
> class loader) at all.

I'm a little rusty on the overall situation - despite submitting the bug
report :) I believe the correct response is to use the context class loader,
and assume that it delegates "correctly". If the context class loader does
not delegate (perhaps because the application specifically does not want to
find a version of a class loaded by a parent) then I don't think it should
be second-guessed by falling back on the system class loader. Indeed, if the
context class loader is null (is that allowed?) then the right second choice
of classloader would be the classloader of the user code that initiated the
request - which may be another user-defined classloader.

David Holmes