RE: AWT event dispatch thread question

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: AWT event dispatch thread question
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:15:34 +0100

graydon hoare wrote:
> Jeroen Frijters wrote:
>
> > I noticed the recent ClasspathToolkit changes to handle
> native events
> > (nativeQueueEmpty, iterateNativeQueue and wakeNativeQueue) and I was
> > wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to put this stuff in
> > EventDispatchThread (and defer construction of the
> EventDispatchThread
> > to the Toolkit implementation).
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> well, you're right that this is possible, but I prefer not to
> do it.

Thanks for your explantion. I agree that it is a bad idea to make things
too abstract, but in this case it seemed that the interface is more
complicated than necessary (the semantics of nativeQueueEmpty,
iterateNativeQueue and wakeNativeQueue are not so obvious), if this was
directly embedded in the EventDispatchThread, things might be simpler.
I'm not sure, it was just a thought I had when I was looking at the code
and trying to understand the changes I had to make to my (very limited)
AWT implementation.

Regards,
Jeroen