Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:32:10 +0200

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 10:11 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Michael Koch writes:
>  >
>  > The thing is that Casey wanted to contribute it to GNU classpath anyway and
>  > maintain it in inside classpath, AFAIK. There are just some issues with FSF
>  > last I heard.
>
> Meybe we should find out what those issues are before merging.

The issue here was bureaucracy. Some miscommunication with several
people saying "you need to ask someone else". I have complained about
this to some FSF people and hopefully this won't happen anymore in the
future. But please remember we are all just human and there are a lot of
people contacting the FSF each and every day.

Normally when someone suggest that code can be included into an existing
GNU project there normally isn't much discussion if the maintainer
thinks that is a good idea. Discussion can happen about the need for a
new GNU project. There is an official GNU project evaluation process for
that.

So if someone wants to contribute some code or a subproject to the GNU
Classpath project please also CC me then I can help make sure that such
a request doesn't disappear in some internal RT request queue forwarding
cycle at the FSF office.