Re: drop <gcj 4.0 support

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: drop <gcj 4.0 support
Date: 20 May 2005 11:18:23 -0600

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Schuster <address@hidden> writes:

Robert> Michael, how should we handle gcj <4 from now on?
Robert> a) Print an error message when detected as only available compiler and
Robert> abort.

This is probably best.
Warnings are easily lost in the noise.

Robert> And to our GCC freaks: How has libstc++ handled such problems?
Robert> (I assume that they had similar issues with g++ here.)

libstdc++ is part of the gcc distribution.  It only has to work with a
single version of g++ -- whatever is in the same tree.

For C++ applications in general, g++ generally just tries to keep up
the standard and then someone fixes the apps.  They are in a different
situation, though, as there aren't really alternative C++ compilers on
Linux, so applications tend to get written to what works with g++.  On
the other hand, there are good java compilers, and mostly what we're
doing in Classpath is working around gcj bugs.

Tom