Re: Does J2SDK 5.0 BCL preclude contributions to Classpath?

From: Matt Van Gundy
Subject: Re: Does J2SDK 5.0 BCL preclude contributions to Classpath?
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 20:10:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the pointer Robert,

It is a similar issue, however, the information you linked to didn't quite
answer the question.  Because, my question concerns Sun's BCL rather than
the SCSL, there is not issue of being tainted by having seen non-free
source code.  I'm bothered by an item in the 5.0 BCL that says:

  "You may not create ... classes, interfaces, or subpackages that are in
  any way identified as 'java', 'javax', 'sun' or similar convention as
  specified by Sun in any naming convention designation."

Compare this to the verbiage from the 1.2 license:

  "[You] may not create ... __additional__ classes, interfaces, or
  subpackages that are contained in the "java" or "sun" packages or
  similar as  specified by Sun in any class file naming convention."
  (emphasis mine)

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that the omission of the word "additional"
could cause problems for 3rd party java class library implementations.  I
don't know if it would be defensible in court, but I'd rather not agree to
anything that might curtail my freedoms in what I may and may not
implement later.  I tried googling for commentary and discussion on this,
but so far, I've come up empty handed.

Thanks,
Matt