Bug database transition and fun with bugs

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Bug database transition and fun with bugs
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:17:40 +0200

Hi all,

As you have probably seen the bug database transition has been completed
for a while now and seems to be working fine. The relevant libgcj bugs
have also been merged into the new "classpath product". Please point
people to http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/bugs.html for looking up
and/or submitting new bugs. It offers a few quick links that should make
it easy to see if a bug was already reported and to report a new issue.
It also has some links to statistics, tables and graphs of our bugs.
Suggestions for improvements to this page are welcome. The page is in
our CVS as doc/www.gnu.org/bugs.wml.

Currently we only have the following modules: awt, classpath, cp-tools,
gjdoc, inetlib and swing. I had suggested about 20 modules but it seemed
that we don't have enough bugs for that yet. But if you think another
category would be helpful AND you want to act as "Initial owner" of that
module please say so and it will be added. (Initial owner just means
that the bug is automatically assigned to someone who will act as the
first person to evaluate the bug.)

I currently need to explicitly set some bits to make people be able to
edit all fields of a bug. Everybody can open new bugs and add comments
to a bug. If you want to be able to confirm, edit or close a bug report
please send me the email address as you registered it with bugzilla and
I will add you to the admin group.

A nice new addition is that if you commit a fix and mention a bug number
in the ChangeLog/commit message bugzilla will be automatically notified.
Just mark your commit message as follows:

        2005-07-28  Mark Wielaard  <address@hidden>

        Fixes PR classpath/45 and bug #14, plus PR 12345.
        * java/lang/ClassLoader.java (loadSubversive): New magic method.

There is a script on developer.classpath.org that recieves all
commit-classpath messages and that extract the bug numbers given to
update the corresponding bugzilla messages. The bug number mentioned
needs to match the following perl regexp:

Have fun bugging,