migration question re: sun.misc.BASE64Encoder

From: Anthony Green
Subject: migration question re: sun.misc.BASE64Encoder
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:02:15 -0700

What should we recommend people use in place of sun.misc.BASE64Encoder
(and ...Decoder)?

gnu.java.net.BASE64 is handy and does the job, but switching code to use
that won't fly in cases where the upstream maintainer wishes to continue
building/running with proprietary implementations.

It would be nice if we could all promote the use of a liberally
licensed** base64 solution and mention this on the ClasspathMigration
wiki page.

AG

** compatible with GNU, Apache and Mozilla licenses, for instance - like
a BSD license.